New York City has around 15,000 licensed real estate agents, but as the bar to entry is pretty low, a license alone is no testament to skill, commitment, or experience. Below, a few indications that the agent will be an asset to you in your search for a home here:
- They are intimately familiar with the neighborhood(s) you are looking in
- They have at least a few year’s experience
- They are busy, but not so busy that they hand you off to an assistant
- They work full-time
- You have a good gut instinct about them (no high-pressure tactics)
- They have experience with condos, co-ops, and new developments (whichever you are focusing on)
- They seem to understand your taste and sensibilities.
- How to pick the best real estate agent »
- How not to be a real estate agent »
- Signing in without a broker at an open house »
- 8 things not to tell your broker »
- A who's who (and who does what) guide to buying a NYC apartment »
- My broker wants me to sign an exclusive before I start apartment hunting. Should I?